.

READER REVIEW: Caitlin's Review of Turkey Hill Baklava Greek Frozen Yogurt

After stopping by ShopRite for what was supposed to be just a quick run for milk, I ended up finding something I had so dearly missed: Turkey Hill's Greek Baklava Limited Edition Flavor Frozen Yogurt. This product is not new, however, although it may seem that way for most shoppers as it is just about impossible to find! Last year I tried it for the first time after finding it in a Redner's (out of its specified "month" it was to be sold during). This year, I had anticipated trying it again when I found out it was on their limited edition flavor calendar again! Unfortunately, after stopping by Redner's, Walmart, Target, Safeway, additional ShopRites, and countless other stores, this product seemed almost nonexistent. I had assumed maybe Turkey Hill's website made a mistake, but perhaps it was just so good people ran out and bought all of it, like I almost did today (I was kind enough to spare two for other shoppers, but if it's there tomorrow I'm reclaiming them!).


Sure enough, there it was on the shelf. Four of them. How could I resist? As I recalled from last year, this frozen treat is ADDICTING. Even my family (who hates all things yogurt, especially frozen, especially Greek) loved it! I knew it was time to take our love to the next level, so I grabbed two containers (they were originally priced at $3.29 each, or two for $5.00, so I had to).


When I got home, I had no self-control. I dug right on into the first container and had a small bowl immediately. It was even better than I imagined it. The ingredients seem fairly healthy in comparison with other frozen desserts, as well! For a ½ cup serving this product has only 130 calories, 5 grams of protein, 15% of your daily value of Calcium, yogurt cultures, and its first ingredient is nonfat milk. Not only will you love this product, you won't hate yourself afterwards (unless you eat all 12 servings, then you may. But still… questionable. It is worth it, believe me).


Upon opening the container, as you can see, small bits of baklava are prevalent within the vanilla yogurt. It also has quite a prominent honey smell (not surprisingly as a Honey Cinnamon Swirl is its second ingredient).


On Turkey Hill's website, this yogurt is described as a "Vanilla GREEK frozen yogurt with crunchy baklava pieces and a honey cinnamon swirl." As you take your first spoonful, this dessert exceeds the standard set by this description. It has countless crunchy baklava pieces of all shapes and sizes (though mostly small), and heaping, gooey globs of cinnamon-infused honey. The ice cream itself has a sweet vanilla cream flavor, without any of the tartness you may find in other frozen yogurt products. The texture is very smooth, and not tough to scoop out at all. Even after sitting in the freezer all day, it never quite hardens to be as icy as certain ice creams, which I personally prefer.


Overall, between the texture and overall flavor I found this Greek frozen yogurt to be very high quality in its taste. The price I paid for two of them was a steal, and I feel it was worth the $3.29 per container price tag. Turkey Hill truly does not skimp on their baklava pieces, cinnamon honey swirl, or rich, sweet, creamy vanilla ice cream in this flavor! Seriously, if you have not tried this yet, I strongly urge you to before it's gone! I give this frozen piece of heaven an A+, but only because there are no ratings higher than that.


Where Caitlin Found It: Shoprite
Caitlin's Grade: A