.

REVIEW: Gelato Fiasco Molasses Peppermint Stick


In my neck of the woods, yesterday brought a winter storm system that left me snowed in and unable to leave my house. Luckily, I had still had the majority of my Gelato Fiasco stash sitting in my freezer. Inspired by the snow, I broke out my pint of Molasses Peppermint Stick. It had been way before Christmas since I’d opted for mint ice cream, but I was intrigued into trying Josh’s childhood flavor fantasy finally came gruel, and guess what. Grown-ups love the unexpected juxtaposition of flavors!


Molasses isn’t a flavor profile you typically find in ice cream, and when combined peppermint stick mix-ins, this promised to be truly unique. My first bite of this 190 calorie per serving creation was interesting to say the least. The strangely sweet taste and thick, sticky feel was not something I’d imagined would pair well with peppermint sticks, but even before reaching the large concentrations of red mint swirls, the cooling sensation had already taken effect.


When the sugary gelato and gooey peppermint come together, the result was unusual, yet satisfying. Given the circumstances, Gelato Fiasco’s Molasses Peppermint Stick was an extraordinary way to enjoy the snow showers.


Where I Found It: Gelato Fiasco (Portland, Maine)
Grade: B