.

REVIEW: Gelato Fiasco Sweet Resurgam Gelato


After Gelato Fiasco’s strong start with their Torched Marshmallow S’more, I was eager to pick up my next pint. Grabbing the first one I saw, my second sample would be from my clear container of Sweet Resurgam. With a little research I was able to find out that this was a limited edition flavor to celebrate the city of Portland, Maine (Sweet Resurgam or “I Shall Rise Again” is the cities motto) and to support a national grassroots job creation program. Originally back in 2012, Gelato Fiasco donated $1 from each pint created to Create Jobs for USA, a national program that supports the funding of low-interest loans to promising small businesses. After the supply had been depleted and there was to be no more, customers overwhelmingly showed support to keep this well-received flavor around as a permanent addition to their lineup.


Now that I had my own personal pint of this 290 calorie per serving creation, I was ready to dig in to the caramel colored base. Gelato Fiasco encourages the eater to envision a burnt sugar and almond gelato with dark chocolate slivers and a soupçon (a very small amount) of salted caramel. Now Taste it! The thick gelato tastes just as it reads. The combination of burnt sugar, almond, and salted caramel all have something to contribute to the overall taste. The type of complexity you get with this gelato is something I’ve only been able to find with small-scale operations like Gelato Fiasco and a handful of others.


The bits of dark chocolate broken up and strewn about are small enough to sneak into every bite; starting each spoonful with a crunch and ending each with a rich, dark chocolate finish. Not only does Sweet Resurgam Gelato support a good cause, it tasted good enough to warrant another A. I’m sensing a trend with this company.


Where I Found It: Gelato Fiasco (Portland, Maine)
Grade: A