.

REVIEW: Blue Bell Cotton Candy


Before trying Ben & Jerry’s limited batch Cotton Candy, I hadn’t been sold on the particular concept for ice cream. I’d sampled the brightly colored, spun sugar as a kid, but it wasn’t until trying their unique combination of cotton candy ice cream loaded with candy sprinkles that I truly became a believer. Following my review for that Walmart exclusive, I had quite a few readers recommending I compare Blue Bell’s Cotton Candy that is available in pint-form year round. Considering that the candy sprinkles had been my favorite part of the Ben & Jerry’s version, I was skeptical that this base-only offering could keep up.


Blue Bell’s Cotton Candy creation manages to come in 70 calories lighter, at just 160 calories per serving, compared to the 230 in Ben & Jerry’s super-premium option. After removing the gold-rimmed lid, I discover Blue Bell had opted for two bases; each sporting the most popular colors for actual cotton candy: baby blue and pink. The two have been included in equal ratios, which ensured an even distribution of the brightly colored ice creams from top to bottom. Consistent with Blue Bell’s other options, the bases remain light and fluffy without melting down too quickly like some low butterfat flavors.


Since both of the bases contain the same ingredients, it didn’t make a difference what combination of blue and pink landed on the end of my spoon as far as taste was concerned. While I’m not a huge fan of cotton candy in general, when infused with the rich feel and sweet taste of cream, it translates into a pretty decent inspiration for ice cream. Although I can’t give Blue Bell’s version the nod over Ben & Jerry’s Cotton Candy featuring candy sprinkles, this wasn’t a disappointment either.


Where I Found It: Walmart
Grade: C