.

REVIEW: HT Trader's Cookie Dough & Brownies


Harris Teeter, a high-end supermarket chain spread across eight Southern states, recently opened up a new location in Asheville, so it was only appropriate to go check out their ice cream selection. I made the drive across town and fought with the terrible traffic flowing in and out of the parking lot, but I eventually made my way to the freezer aisle. Even though they offered products from 2nd St. Creamery and Graeter’s along with all the expected, nationwide companies, I struggled to find one flavor I hadn’t tried yet that peaked my interest (a growing problem). With all the top-tier creameries failing to grab my attention, I turned to Harris Teeter’s generic brand, HT Traders. They offered a handful of simple and straightforward flavors, but the most appealing came from their Cookie Dough & Brownies, a premium impersonation of Ben & Jerry’s super-premium Half Baked.


At only 200 calories per serving, this mix of chocolate chip cookie dough and fudge brownies swirled in ice cream is less dense than its inspiration. Just by holding the pint in my hand, HT Trader’s Cookie Dough & Brownies is noticeably lighter in weight than the exact same amount of servings from Ben & Jerry’s. Even though the description doesn’t specify what ice creams are used, once I take off the top, I see it’s the same combination of chocolate and vanilla I had been expecting. After sampling each of the bases by themselves, these are simple and uninspiring. The basic taste and light feel makes this duo pretty average in comparison to other chocolate and vanilla ice creams. As is often the case when dealing with a chocolate and vanilla combination, the chocolate seemingly overpowers the vanilla and gives the impression that there’s an uneven ratio of each, however once I scooped some into a bowl, it was obvious there wasn’t very much vanilla in this particular pint.


While Ben & Jerry’s spoils us with oversized brownies from Greyston Bakery and big balls of uncooked chocolate chip cookies, the mini mix-ins from HT Trader’s aren’t quite as impressive. Their versions are small cubes and even though the taste is great, the size severely impacts the experience. Despite their petite stature, the rich brownies and gritty cookie dough squares are still the perfect company for vanilla and chocolate ice creams. Unfortunately, when I’m looking for this particular combination, the proven favorite still has a considerable advantage over this version from Harris Teeter.


Where I Found It: Harris Teeter
Grade: C