.

REVIEW: New Orleans Ice Cream Co. Mississippi Debris


The fifth stop of my tour through the flavors of New Orleans Ice Cream Company, Mississippi Debris has a rather impressive ingredients list. At first glance it appears this pint was produced merely by taking their chocolate base and tossing in every chocolate covered mix-in they could get their hands on. I'm a bit worried that this offering may result in cocoa overload.


With a smorgasbord of chocolate including brownies, truffles, malt balls, cherry cups and an influx of fudge chunks and swirls, they leave nothing to the imagination. With so many options in such close proximity to one another, and drowning in chocolate ice cream, I keep the lid handy so I can refer back to the index in order to see exactly what I'm munching on. It's impossible to grab just the chocolate ice cream, so I opt for a little bit of the fudge swirl for my first bite.


The rich chocolate ice cream is on par with the quality of their vanilla. It provides the perfect foundation to flaunt all these mix-ins. The most inconspicuous of the ingredients, the fudge swirl amplifies the chocolate base more than I had anticipated. Even richer than the ice cream, the thickness requires some chewing and as I'd soon find out, hard to differentiate from the fudge truffles.


Then came the copious amount of chocolate mix-ins. The brownie bits were decadent, dense and took multiple bites to break down. The chocolate flakes, as hard pieces of fudge tend to be, are more of a hinderance than a highlight. The truffles were the same consistency and texture as the fudge swirl, but consisted of a more complex, dark chocolate.


Then came these. These malt balls aren't your standard Whoppers. Coated in high quality chocolate, the crunch from these are audible in different area codes. Unfortunately there were only four or five of these, but with this magnitude of mix-ins, I can't complain. The chocolate covered almonds didn't differ in quality and combined with the malt balls to really beef up the texture.


Another kicker came with the cherry cups. I wasn't sure what to expect, but these ended up being like miniature chocolate-covered cherries that were able to completely change the flavor profile of the entire ice cream. The finishing touch comes with bits of real marshmallow. These mini-mallows were the most accurate marshmallow interpretation I've seen in an ice cream. The fluffiness and texture were tremendous. New Orleans Ice Cream leave no stone unturned in this unique offering. I thought I would get burnt out on so much chocolate, but the high-quality, high-quantity ingredients won't allow that to happen. So sit down, relax and prepare to take your time with this slow-moving pint.


Where I Found This: Ice Cream Source
Grade: A