.

REVIEW: Blue Bell Banana Nut Bread (Holiday Favorite Limited Edition)


From as far back as I can remember, banana nut bread has regularly graced our kitchen counter. It seems to just be common practice among my family to pick up a loaf when visiting any specialty shops or open markets. Through the different artisan varieties I tried, I grew to love the moist, sticky pastry. Coupled with my new found love for banana ice cream, I was more than excited to see Blue Bell had rolled out their Holiday Favorite, Banana Nut Bread. With one of my all time favorites, Christmas Cookies in July, brandishing the same red ribbon, this yellow pail is in good company.


I would have probably been satisfied with the simple combination of banana ice cream and banana nut bread pieces, but after reading the description above, the addition of roasted walnuts, as well as a smooth cream cheese frosting swirl should have no problem securing a top spot in the rankings. Flinging the gold lid aside, the first layer is the color of pastel yellow with bits of the banana nut bread and roasted walnuts breaking the surface.


As I piled scoop after scoop into a bowl, I couldn't help but be excited. The bread pieces were big and abundant, the walnuts filled in the empty space, and the cream cheese frosting looked able to deliver the knockout blow. I grabbed a bit of the banana base to sample first. The consistency of the banana ice cream was as to be expected from Blue Bell. Lacking the denseness of a super premium ice cream, the light fluffy feel doesn't have the gumminess that seems to be the demise of other lighter calorie options. This base is the same one used in Blue Bell's Banana Pudding, so naturally my taste buds are expecting vanilla wafers and whipped cream to follow. But fortunately for them, they're about to get banana nut bread instead.


Before the bread is introduced into the conversation, I begin running into the bits of chewy walnuts. Creating the same flavors found in Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey, the soft texture of the walnuts contrasts nicely with the flavorful banana base. But both the ice cream and nuts can't hold a candle to the banana nut bread to come. These dice-sized cubes are one of the densest mix-ins I've found in a carton of Blue Bell. The chewy, firm feel of the bread creates an incredible texture, especially when enveloped with banana ice cream. Every bite bursts with sweet spices and banana flavoring.


Not only does the bread have built-in flavors, but because of it's porous nature it's also soaked up some of the smooth, banana ice cream as well. Blue Bell rounds out this holiday favorite with a petite ribbon of cream cheese frosting. Swirling about inside, this is easily overlooked with the potency of the other main contributors, but adds some serious sweetness, as well as another contrasting flavor when it ends up on your spoon. Besides Blue Bell's Key Lime Pie, I haven't regretted investing in an half gallon container and this is no exception. I wouldn't hesitate picking up a big pail of this if you run across any.


Where I Found It: Ingles Markets
Grade: B