.

REVIEW: Turkey Hill Choco Mint Chip


Every once in a while, I find myself pacing up and down the ice cream aisles (and even visiting multiple grocery stores per trip) without seeing one selection that grabs my attention. On nights like those, I usually go with a simple flavor and then spice things up with my own mix-ins. While none of my local supermarkets seem to stock the exciting, limited edition flavors from Turkey Hill, they do carry a number of their straightforward options. With the taste of Publix Premium’s Peppermint Stick still fresh on my mind, I looked for yet another mint option to satiate my cravings. I had already experienced how great Turkey Hill’s mint ice cream could be in Lady Liberty Mint, but I had to settle for their Choco Mint Chip this time around.


This combination of cool mint ice cream with melt-in-your-mouth choco chips comes in at a reasonably priced 160 calories per serving, which means most everyone can fit multiple servings into their day if they plan accordingly. After removing the red lid, the first layer is reminiscent of the stuff I used to order at scoop shops as a kid. Turkey Hill leaves all the bells and whistles for Lady Liberty Mint and opts to stick to the basics with their Choco Mint Chip. Similar to the way Talenti does many of their flavors featuring chocolate chips, Turkey Hill uses chocolate shavings that are small and make their way into every bite.


Even though this is efficient for incorporating a bit of crunch into every bite, it also becomes a bit mundane after a while. They’ve managed to make their mint ice cream smooth, well balanced, and just potent enough to leave your mouth nice and chilly, and although the bits of chocolate add a rich finish to each bite, they aren’t quite complex enough to keep my attention for an extended amount of time. Regardless, this was exactly what I expected and continues one of Turkey Hill’s traditions of dependability even on less exciting flavor combinations.


Where I Found It: Ingles Markets
Grade: C