.

REVIEW: TCBY English Toffee Crunch


After TCBY's Chocolate Chunk Cookie Dough frozen yogurt exceeded my expectations, as well as bringing back some old memories, I decided to try the other flavor I'd had my eye on, English Toffee Crunch. My recent discovery of the deliciousness found inside Ben & Jerry's Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch had left me looking for my next toffee fix, and this lighter, less fattening version seemed to fit the bill nicely. TCBY describes their English Toffee Crunch as rich chunks of real English toffee throughout smooth low fat vanilla frozen yogurt. Although this doesn't use actual chunks of the famous Heath candy bar, judging by the substantial pieces of cookie dough found in the previous TCBY flavor I've had, I'm not too concerned.


Containing only 150 calories per serving, only 600 per pint, this is easy to fit into anyone's diet, and even for those not watching their weight, is a nice change of pace from some of the super premium offerings. After removing the top, the first layer is littered with the aforementioned chunks of real English toffee, so much so that it's turned the off white vanilla base a few shades darker. Because of the low fat content, the base barely resists the edge of my spoon and scoops out easily. Even though the base is very soft, it doesn't have the gummy feel of some of the other light options out there. As far as taste is concerned, the flavoring is more than acceptable, but a vanilla frozen yogurt certainly has a ceiling. This super-sweet base receives an additional jolt of sugar as soon as the stringy toffee swirl becomes involved.


The actual pieces of toffee aren't quite as big as I had been expecting, but even though they were small, just the slight crunchy texture added a lot to the overall effectiveness of this flavor. The small slices of toffee allowed this pint to go down with ease, especially when coupled with the fluffy feel of the frozen yogurt. The real winner of English Toffee Crunch was the toffee sauce. This sauce, as well as the actual chunks, aren't quite as impressive as some of the toffee mix-ins found in the versions from Graeter's or Ben & Jerry's, but for nearly half the calories, beggars can't be choosers. After sampling Chocolate Chunk Cookie Dough, and now English Toffee Crunch, I'd have to give the nod to the latter.


Where I Found It: Ingles Markets
Grade: D