.

READER REVIEW: Ben's Review of Ben & Jerry's Nutty Caramel Swirl (7-Eleven Exclusive)


I heard about this Nutty Caramel Swirl via the freezer finds on this blog and was initially intrigued by the Nougat base and the mix-in combination that made it sound like a candy bar in ice cream form. The down side is it is a 7-11 exclusive, so I made an extra stop while shopping to pick it up. This flavor is described as a nougat ice cream with peanuts, fudge flakes & a salty caramel swirl.


The base was unique in flavor. I have to say I’ve never had a nougat base before, so my first sampling of it was quite good. The texture was nice and on par with other Ben and Jerry’s flavors. It was, however, a bit weak overall and I suspect that was done to highlight the mix-ins more. So in a sense, it is a success as it is not overwhelming, which can be the case in other pints, but it is my opinion that it could be just a bit stronger than it is. But once combined with the mix-ins, it forms a very good complimentary flavor.


The real success of this flavor is in the mix-ins. The fudge flakes and peanuts are incredibly plentiful and makes tasting the base alone almost impossible. This adds to the feeling of eating a candy bar on a spoon, which is exactly what I had expected. The salty caramel swirl is mildly different than the standard caramel swirl and is a nice balance of salty and sweet. My only complaint was that I would have liked to have seen a bit more of it throughout the pint because it absolutely completes the experience when you get a bite of the base, mix-ins, and some of the swirl. Overall though, this flavor was a definite success in my opinion and I will very likely pick it up in the future. Although it has its flaws when it comes to its stand alone components, when tasted in combination, Nutty Caramel Swirl really shines.


Where Ben Found It: 7-11
Ben's Grade: B
The Ice Cream Informant's Grade: A