.

REVIEW: The Fresh Market Tiramisu & Mascarpone


Over the holidays I was able to try a new brand for the blog, The Fresh Market's Sweet & Spiced Gingerbread gelato. This time, I passed on the Jeni's and Graeter's selections staring back at from the freezer and picked up a pint of their own Tiramisu & Mascarpone. Sporting the same whimsical design as it's gingerbread predecessor, the description on the back of this one makes this one sound just as enticing. The Fresh Market describes this flavor as a traditional Italian recipe of velvety gelato that has just the right balance of creamy mascarpone and coffee flavoring. Ben & Jerry's was able to recreate the classic dessert effectively with their Target exclusive, Volun-Tiramisu, so hopefully this gelato version won't be a let down.


At 190 calories per serving, this base-only gelato is a bit more calorie dense than I was expecting, but still lower than their Sweet & Spiced Gingerbread. Volun-Tiramisu was able to effectively balance the two main flavor profiles inside the classic dessert, coffee and mascarpone, and this gelato promises the same thing. Ben & Jerry's version had a little help in the form of cocoa dusted coffee rum lady finger pieces, so this lighter interpretation has a lot of work to do if it plans on surpassing the only other tiramisu-themed pints I've tried. Popping off the polka-dotted lid reveals a first layer that looks surprisingly similar to that of Sweet & Spiced Gingerbread, only slightly lighter in color.


The velvety gelato peels back with ease as my spoon scrapes across the initial layer. Even while collecting on my spoon, I can tell the consistency is unique, which teeters between ice cream and gelato. The Fresh Market's version lacks the looks and density of Talenti's products, making it hard to believe both are gelato. Tiramisu & Mascarpone isn't too heavy, nor too light, lingering around just long enough before melting. The coffee taste of the tiramisu greets my taste buds as soon as I take my first bite. While Volun-Tiramisu was well balanced, it's hard to pick up on the slight hints of mascarpone inside this unless you're looking.


Fortunately for The Fresh Market, due to my infatuation with coffee flavored ice cream, I'm not disappointed by the disproportional ratios. Because of the lack of mix-ins, this base-only gelato is incredibly easy to eat. Unfortunately for The Fresh Market, Ben & Jerry's addition of lady finger pieces proved to be the deciding factor, catapulting Volun-Tiramisu quite a bit higher than Tiramisu & Mascarpone. I plan on heading back soon for the biscotti and fig flavor, but probably won't be picking this up again. But if you're a fan of the dessert, I'd give it a go.


Where I Found It: The Fresh Market
Grade: C