.

REVIEW: Blue Bunny Strawberries Are Forever Shortcake


Short of tracking down a pint of Cup O' Coffee (which I’ve yet to see), Blue Bunny’s Strawberries are Forever Shortcake flavor would be the last offering I’d try from this peculiar pastry chef. The other four variations I've tried, Red Carpet Red Velvet Cake, I Do, I Do, Wedding Cake, 24 Karat Carrot Cake and Chocolate Lovers Triple Chocolate Cake were far from fantastic, but some were better than others. Considering this was the least impressive sounding of the entire bunch, I came into this review with lower than normal expectations. Blue Bunny describes this as a strawberry ice cream and strawberries with pound cake pieces and swirls of whipped cream flavored frosting.


Without a super-premium ice cream at the helm, Blue Bunny manages to keep the calories at a more than manageable 160 per serving. After removing the purple lid, I’m immediately put off by the fact that this isn’t even filled to the top. Coupled with the fact that the first layer looks to be lacking, I remain skeptical as I scoop out my first spoonful. The strawberry base is light in density and has a slightly artificial feel to it. Not a good start. The strawberries soon add one of the worst characteristics you can find in an ice cream. When using fruits consisting mostly of water, companies tend to forget that this translates into chunks of ice.


The only redeeming qualities found in Strawberries are Forever Shortcake come from the pieces of pound cake and whipped cream flavored frosting found a little further down. Both add some much needed taste to the bland base, as well as some beneficial textures. The cake chunks are slightly crumbly and attribute some sweetness. The whipped cream flavored frosting, although small in stature, is strong in sweetness. Unfortunately for Blue Bunny, this was enough to save another Duff-inspired creation.


Where I Found It: Ingles Markets
Grade: D