.

REVIEW: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups Klondike Bars


Whenever I’m browsing the freezer aisles at Wal-Mart, I always debate whether or not to pick up some of the various types of Klondike bars. It’s been ages since I’ve had one of these foil wrapped frozen treats and now they offer them in a variety of different flavors. Ranging from original to Oreo, Klondike takes flavored ice cream, usually low fat, and coats it with a thin, chocolate exterior. As I looked over the handful of options, I ended up walking out with the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup kind. These particular bars feature a Reese's peanut butter flavored light ice cream with Reese's peanut butter cups coated in milk chocolate flavored coating and came in a box of 6.


As I removed the first bar from the foil, I couldn’t help but notice that these were a lot thinner than I had originally anticipated. Even though they were skinny and featured a bunch of light, artificially flavored ingredients, they still managed to come in at 260 calories each. Like most other ice cream bars, this has a chocolate coating that provides a bit of crunch before it easily cracks away. The kicker of this coating comes from the peanut butter flavoring involved. The interior made of the Reese’s peanut butter flavored light ice cream melts away quickly and has much of the same characteristics of frozen dairy dessert, including the overly artificial taste.


The last component contained inside the chocolate comes from the bits of Reese’s peanut butter cups broken up within the ice cream. Flavors featuring peanut butter cups consistently rank among my favorite, so naturally I was most excited about this portion of the bar. Unfortunately, these “peanut butter cups” had been blended up so much that they were nearly non-existent. They failed to add anything notable at all. Despite the lack of actual peanut butter cups, the classic combination of peanut butter and chocolate were enough to salvage an average rating for the Reese’s Klondike.


Where I Found It: Wal-Mart
Grade: C