.

READER REVIEW: Mo's Review of SoCo Creamery's Salted Caramel


Having been on a premium ice cream kick lately, I tend to keep an eye out for hard-to-find brands. So when I saw a small selection of SoCo Creamery pints at my local Shop Rite of all places, I jumped at the chance to sample some of their legendary flavors. Being a fan of all things sweet and salty, I decided that my inaugural SoCo flavor would have to be Salted Caramel.


When I first popped open the lid, I’ll admit that I wasn’t overly impressed. The caramel didn’t seem to be very abundant, and even as I scooped down toward the middle of the pint, I found the caramel swirl to base ratio to be fair at best. But then I decided to stop looking at the ice cream and actually put some of it in my mouth. And that changed everything.


SoCo’s Salted Caramel is what quality ice cream should taste like. The rich, buttery base is loaded with caramel flavor, so while other versions of salted caramel rely on the actual caramel swirl to give their flavor a boost, SoCo’s offers up a strong but not overwhelming taste of caramel goodness in every bite.


In fact, this ice cream is so good that I actually contemplated running back to the store while I was still eating it to pick up some more for fear that I wouldn’t be able to find it again. And at a modest 180 calories per serving, I didn’t even feel bad about taking down most of a pint in a single sitting. In fact, this ice cream strikes the perfect balance of smooth richness without the heavy feeling you sometimes get from a brand like Ben & Jerry’s. And while I normally prefer flavors with mix-ins for the added contrast and crunch, I found that this one was complete on its own. If you tend to enjoy the sweet-salty combo, do your best to track this stuff done.


Where Mo Found It: ShopRite
Mo's Grade: A