.

READER REVIEW: Winston's Review of Haagen Dazs Coconut Macaroon (Limited Edition)

Haagen-Dazs always makes a rich, creamy dessert; I’ve generally been more than satisfied with them in the past. Therefore, when I stumbled across “Coconut Macaroon” at Super Wal-Mart, I couldn’t resist. Like many of my past favorites, this dessert contained cookie pieces embedded in a rich, premium base. Further I’m a big fan of coconut macaroons; I had to try it.


The base in this desert is incredible: a rich, ultra creamy foundation, as one would expect from Haagen-Dazs, with moderate (just perfect) coconut notes, and a minuscule, pleasant tart undertone. The base is definitely the best coconut base I’ve had, as it’s much richer and creamier than Talenti’s Caribbean Coconut, and isn’t plagued with those annoying strings of Coconut. I must add that I have not tried Graeter’s Coconut Chip, but will soon.


The macaroon pieces are absolutely delicious and provide the perfect texture contrast to the astounding base. These soft, chewy cookie pieces provide strong macaroon flavor and are littered everywhere in the pint. The flavor and texture contrast between the base and these cookies is just as pleasing as any premium cookie/cookie dough and premium base match up.


Reading over the Ice Cream Informants review of “Coconut Macaroon”, I feel that his low count of cookie pieces detracted from the overall experience; they play a huge part in the enjoyment. In my mind, Haagen-Dazs created a virtually perfect dessert for a niche market with coconut macaroon. Still, though, I’m convinced that many people that are indifferent to macaroons and coconut will thoroughly enjoy this dessert, as it’s so loaded with cookies, cream and sugar that anyone even moderately disenfranchised with coconut wont’ be able to resist a second scoop.


Where Winston Found It: Super Walmart
Winston's Grade: B