.

REVIEW: Graeter's Summer Peach (Seasonal Limited Edition)


Even though I received Graeter’s seasonal Summer Peach was included in my last shipment, flavors like Banana Chocolate Chip, Vanilla and The Original Salted Caramel took precedence. After knocking out those first, I was finally ready to cool off with another limited edition pint. According to Graeter’s, “We hand select only the juiciest peaches from a premier grower in Northern Virginia, hand-prepared and processed the Graeter’s Ice Cream way.” I’ve only had peach ice cream a handful of times and none of those have been very memorable, so I’m hoping the French pot process can help out this fruit-based flavor like it was able to in Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip.


After taking off the top, the first layer appears the perfect shade of pale pink and orange; even showing off a brightly colored piece of peach breaking through the surface. Despite the fact that Graeter’s has chosen to leave out their signature chocolate chips, this super-premium pint ice cream still clocks in at 260 calories per serving. Without the distraction of chocolate chips, securing some of the peach base on the end of my spoon is much easier than usual. Each bite of the dense ice cream starts out sweet, strong and assertive in flavor and stays that way until it’s fully melted away.


Graeter’s includes enough cream and sugar to stay consistent with their denser-than-most reputation, but includes enough of the peach flavoring to make this refreshing as well. Although they aren’t included in large amounts, I still run across quite a few slivers of actual peaches along the way. I would usually frown upon such things from store-bought ice creams, however I avoid the pieces until the end of the pint to allow them to thaw a bit. While they still aren’t my favorite, these ripe peaches were able to lose their icy consistency after a while and actually contributes to the well-balanced base. Summer Peach may not be on the same level as some of their other chocolate chip infused flavors, but still served as a sufficient way to cool off from the summer sunshine.


Where I Found It: Graeter's Online Store
Grade: B