.

READER REVIEW: Raghavan's Review of Blue Bell Chocolate Peanut Butter

While visiting the freezer section of my local supermarket, I initially didn’t even recognize Blue Bell’s Chocolate Peanut Butter. My eyes glanced over the plain carton and I initially dismissed it as an old flavor. It wasn’t until my eye caught the small yellow ”New!” label that I gave it a second look.


I didn’t know what to expect from this ice cream, as I am not the biggest chocolate fan in the world, and didn’t enjoy a lot of Blue Bell’s ice creams that used chocolate as a base, due to its overpowering taste. However, I am a huge fan of peanut butter, so I was interested to see what I’d think of the two ingredients mixed together.


Peeling back the lid, one could mistake this ice cream for being plain chocolate. There were no hints of peanut butter at all. Tasting the chocolate base gave only the slightest hint of peanut butter. It wasn’t until I dug deeper that I found out why this pint comes in at 220 calories per serving. There was far more peanut butter than I was expecting. It was difficult to tell at first because the chocolate base camouflaged the peanut butter, but it soon became evident that there was a huge amount of peanut butter mixed all throughout the pint. The peanut butter was soft and had a great texture as well.


However, while I enjoyed the first few spoonfuls of chocolate peanut buttery goodness, two things soon became apparent. The chocolate base was still too powerful and was muting the peanut butter’s taste, and the pint became slightly uninteresting. As a huge fan of mix-ins, I was left bored due to the lack of variation in the ice cream. While I love peanut butter, I was still slightly disappointed with this pint. Combined with the large amount of calories this pint packs, I would rather turn to one of Blue Bell’s other excellent flavors.


Where Raghavan Found It: H-E-B
Raghavan's Grade: C