.

REVIEW: Blue Bell Summer Strawberry Pie


I adore sampling seasonal selections during the sizzling, Summer months. Blue Bell has put in some real effort to shove out a serious amount of these cool, heat-beating creations. Their Key Lime Pie was disappointing, but their Southern Blackberry Cobbler was a step in the right direction. So what would this July rotational flavor hold in store for me?


This pink pint looks like something you'd decorate a newborn girl's nursery with. I have no idea what Summer Strawberry Pie is, but Blue Bell boasts that this salmon-colored selection is, "A luscious strawberry ice cream combined with sweetened strawberries, flaky pie crust pieces and a whipped topping swirl." I haven't had any of Blue Bell's strawberry ice cream, but I was hoping it was as delicious as their homemade vanilla. With the lid removed, a colorful first layer of that luscious strawberry ice cream and wide stripes of whipped topping swirl are put on display.


Getting a nice gob of the strawberry ice cream first, I'm pretty impressed. I don't typically consider myself a supporter of strawberry, but this stuff is suitable for the job. Completing my navigation through Blue Bell's basis for their neapolitan, they certainly have a firm foundation. Their homemade vanilla, chocolate and strawberry are all strong, even when solo. The weightless whipped topping is heavily whirled about the entire pint, taking up only slightly less room than the strawberry ice cream itself. It's identical to frozen cool whip and lacks that overly sugared sensation of marshmallow found in pints of other manufacturers.


Off to a good start, my previous experiences with these remaining mix-ins mean this may have already reached it's ceiling. Crossing paths with my first piece of pie crust I already know what to expect. The saying goes, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, but these particles of pie crust must be driving me mad. I keep expecting these to live up to their true potential, but once again, they end up insufficient.


But I'd take these tolerable chunks of pie crust over the icy, distracting segments of frozen strawberries. Ice cream topped with fresh, cool cuts of fruit can be refreshing, but just isn't cool when frozen rock solid and shoved down into containers. Luckily there were only six or seven of these solid chunks of strawberries strewn throughout.


Where I Found It: Ingles Markets
Grade: D