.

REVIEW: Good Humor Birthday Cake Ice Cream Bars


After reminiscing on my younger years with a box of Chocolate Éclair Ice Cream Bars from Good Humor, I once again found myself searching the novelty section for some more nostalgia. Before I got very far I was distracted by the tagline of a NEW! product that just so happened to be in the same Good Humor family. They've taken the same idea as they had with the Chocolate Éclair bars, but this time with birthday cake. The Birthday Cake bars are made up of a cake crunch coated light vanilla ice cream and vanilla cake flavored center.


As I scanned the box of six I had just purchased, I was surprised to see that this version comes in 20 calories less than its chocolate counterpart, at only 130 calories per bar. I removed the bar from the plain white plastic wrapper to reveal something that looked like it had been rolled in Fruity Pebbles cereal. The cake crunch coating is vividly colored and brings about a sugary, gritty exterior to the beginning of each bite. The soft ice cream bar gives way with minimal effort and I’m able to taste the two ice creams inside.


The light vanilla ice cream is sweet, while the vanilla cake core is even sweeter. Although the taste is slightly artificial and the consistency of the light ice cream leaves a lot to be desired, the finished product isn’t bad for such a small amount of calories. While this wasn’t quite as good as the Chocolate Éclair bar I had earlier in the week, it was a nice play on the same design.


Where I Found It: Walmart
Grade: C