.

READER REVIEW: Mo's Review of Wegmans PB&J

I have a problem, and it's time to come clean about it: I tend to suffer from ice cream envy. Usually I’m pretty good at keeping the problem under control, but when it comes to Ben & Jerry’s, one of my all-time favorite brands, I find it difficult to keep my cool when new, awesome-sounding flavors come out and I can’t get my hands on them. That’s right, Target exclusives—I’m talking about you. But once I realized I’d evidently have to wait awhile before sampling Peanut Butter Jam Session, I remembered that somewhere in the bottom of my deep freezer was a pint that could potentially give my friends at Ben & Jerry's a run for their money.


A couple of months ago, I decided to buy a few pints of Wegmans premium ice cream, including a fun-looking flavor called PB&J. And so when I found myself dangerously close to succumbing to a particularly harsh bout of ice cream envy after reading yet another review of Peanut Butter Jam Session, I decided the time had come to bust out the Wegmans version.


When I first peeled back the lid, I was pleasantly surprised to find some swirls of purple already peeking through. And as I continued to make my way through the pint, the jelly-flavored swirl did a fine job of making its presence known.


Now this flavor isn’t overly complicated or complex. There are no mix-ins to give it the textural contrast I often crave, and I won’t pretend that as I ate it, I discovered layer upon layer of flavor. What I did find, however, is that Wegmans PB&J is just plain good. Eating this ice cream is basically akin to taking down a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in delicious dessert form. The peanut butter base is rich without being too sweet, and the jelly swirl, while somewhat intense on its own, works wonders when combined with that peanut buttery goodness.


All in all, this flavor’s a winner, and it really takes me back to the days when I’d bust open my lunch box at school and get all excited at the notion of digging into a sandwich loaded with creamy peanut butter and just the right amount of accompanying jelly. Of course, just because I enjoyed my Wegmans PB&J doesn’t mean I’m about to give up on Peanut Butter Jam Session. That’s the thing about ice cream envy—it eventually turns you into a bit of a stalker on the retail front. But in the meantime, I’ll be sure to savor my pint of Wegmans goodness as a very tasty and not so shabby consolation prize.


Where Mo Found It: Wegmans
Mo's Grade: B