.

REVIEW: Blue Bell Krazy Kookie Dough


My eyes have learned to ignore the usual suspects when browsing the pint-sized selections from Blue Bell, but every once in a while something new and exciting will infiltrate the regulars. Donning a design that looks like something your child would bring home from their elementary school art class, Krazy Kookie Dough pastes pastel-colored polka dots all over the exterior.


I'm always interested to try cake batter ice cream, but with the addition of sugar cookie dough pieces this could be a real chocolate chip cookie dough competitor. After sampling Blue Bell's cookies in Christmas Cookies in July and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, I'm well aware of how delicious all their cookie-infused flavors can be. Grabbing off the gold lid and tossing it aside, I'm a bit taken back by the fluorescent yellow color of the cake batter base. I'm not sure whether to be excited or scared, but the familiar scent of cookies and cake ease my mind.


Scooping out a big portion, it's hard to miss the smaller bits of incandescent sugar cookie dough along the way. I can't say I prefer Blue Bell's cake batter base over their homemade vanilla, but it's a close competition. This bright yellow ice cream isn't quite as sweet or artificial tasting as had anticipated, which averted a problem considering the amount of sugar involved. It isn't long after I begin before I'm running into some serious chunks of colorful cookie dough.


Blue Bell has crammed copious amounts of these bright blue, green and pink dough balls from top to bottom. Making their way into nearly every bite, this dough isn't anything like the khaki-colored baked sugar cookies from Christmas Cookies in July. Sporting a super soft texture, these are chewy and lack the granulated texture like other cookie doughs I've had from Blue Bell. Contrasting nicely with the cake batter base, these team up to give their Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough a run for it's money.


I've come to appreciate cookie dough flavors, and this spin-off of the classic is a nice change of pace. Showing their ability to think outside the carton, Blue Bell has put together a pint that's worthy of it's Krazy name. Although I preferred the traditional traits of Christmas Cookies in July and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, this wasn't far behind.


Where I Found It: Ingles Markets
Grade: B