.

REVIEW: Graeter's Coconut Chocolate Chip


Besides the varying base flavors, Graeter's doesn't have much to offer as far as variety is concerned, but it's hard not to be excited about any excuse to indulge in some of their chocolate chips. Even a struggling base could be brought up to relativity with these colossal chunks of cocoa. Using the same basic principle of Blue Bell's Coconut Fudge, Graeter's Coconut Chocolate Chip laces their creamy coconut ice cream with their signature chocolate chips.


I always seem to forget how incredible the consistency can be when using the French pot process that Graeter's utilizes. Containing 320 calories per serving, the thickness and density of this coconut ice cream is unparalleled. Scooping out my first bite proves difficult, as the thicker mixture is unwilling to melt in a timely manner. Working my way around the cluster of chocolate chips near the top, I finally gather a full spoon of the coconut base for analysis.


Tasting of vanilla initially, the characteristics of coconut begin to come through towards the end. Finishing strong, I was pleasantly surprised to find the last remnants of each bite full of coconut flesh. The density, coupled with the plethora of pulp, provide a unique take on coconut ice cream. I can't say I enjoyed it as much as their Black Raspberry or Chocolate Peanut Butter bases, but it's still plenty capable, especially when combined with the chocolate chips to come. Scattered about liberally, it isn't long before a few end up on my spoon.


Varying in size from small shards all the way up to massive morsels, Graeter's ensures a taste of that coveted chocolate in nearly every bite. After sampling a few chunks, it's confirmed that these chocolate chips are in a league of their own. There just aren't any close competitors in this category. The richness and soft, melty texture is something that can't be touched by others. I keep waiting on a few of those mammoth pieces I've found in previous pints from Graeter's, but they never showed. I suppose that's part of the game you play when dealing with hand-packed pints. Regardless, the coconut base is a worthy canvas to showcase these chips, despite becoming a bit dull after a while.


Where I Found It: The Fresh Market
Grade: B