.

REVIEW: Laloo's Deep Chocolate


Having recently sampled Jeni's Goat Cheese with Red Cherries, Laloo's Goat's Milk Ice Cream naturally caught my eye on my last trip to Whole Foods. Scurrying over to their site, they claim, "Surprisingly delicious and creamy, Laloo's is made with 100% goat's milk. It has that custard-like-old-fashioned-ice-cream-parlor-taste, with superior digestibility. Why goat's milk? This magic elixir boasts more protein and calcium, and a natural structure with alkaline properties that allow lactose sensitive people to indulge! Smooth, rich and dense, Laloo's rivals gelato, but with less than half the fat. So go ahead, eat twice as much!"


I ultimately settled on their Deep Chocolate flavor due to the fact that they've utilized Scharffen Berger semi-sweet chocolate to create this dark chocolate ice cream. Granted, it was a bit hard to pull the trigger on a simple base chocolate, especially at this price, I couldn't pass up the opportunity after reading the outside of the pint.


After removing the lid, this cashmere of ice cream carries a serious scent. I'm a bit concerned at the low calorie count, but I press onwards. I scoop out my first velvety spoonful and hope for the best.


True to it's name, it's deep. It's dark. The richness rivaled that of a premium cow's milk ice cream, but felt much lighter. Despite the fluffier feel, this goat's milk ice cream hangs around on your tongue like a batch containing high amounts of butterfat.


Although the slightly gummy texture wasn't quite the same as a slow churned low-fat ice cream alternative, it took some getting used to. Ice creams having a consistency like this are usually bland, but this chocolate packed some complexity. Showing off the dark, natural tendencies of the high-quality cocoa, Laloo's employed some of the finest ingredients, but produced a product that couldn't quite showcase the Scharffen Berger chocolate to it's full potential.


When it was all said and done, I'm still glad I bought this one. Not that I eat many pints of base chocolate, but I found myself grabbing a spoonful at every opportunity until this was long gone. Unfortunately, at upwards of six dollars a carton, I'm not sure it will find it's way in my freezer again.


Where I Found It: Whole Foods Market
Grade: C