.

REVIEW: Blue Bunny Birthday Party


After starting my journey through Blue Bunny's flavors with those created by Duff Goldman, I'm continuing my exploration with some of their more traditional offerings. Unable to track down any pints other than the Ace of Cake inspired ones, I moved on to their cartons. Having tried super-premium birthday offerings like Ben & Jerry's Cake Batter, as well as lower calorie options like Blue Bell's Birthday Cake and Breyer's Blasts Oreo Birthday Blast, I'm interested to see how Blue Bunny's Birthday Party would measure up.


My previous experiences with Blue Bunny have been a roller coaster ride. Flavors like Chocolate Lover's Triple Chocolate Cake were well executed for the most part, but others like Strawberries are Forever Shortcake left me far from satisfied. After reading the description, and taking notice of the plentiful pieces of birthday cake on the carton, I'm disappointed to discover there isn't a cake component. I'm hoping the confetti shaped candy pieces and blue frosting ribbon can pick up the slack.


Possibly overlooked by others, I'm impressed by the packaging Blue Bunny puts their product in. Employing their patented fresh lock container that ensures their lid snaps into place, they take added precaution in protecting their ice cream from freezer burn. I unbutton the bright blue lid to expose some of the whitest ice cream I've ever seen. As my eyes dilate to adjust to the brightness, there's more than just albino ice cream. Tons oversized rainbow sprinkles litter the first layer.


Sampling my first bite, I wasn't expecting this to be so sweet. Combining ample amounts of artificial birthday cake flavoring and the slightly-gummy consistency that can be expected from a lower fat option, this is a pretty accurate rendition of ordinary white sheet cake with frosting. Because of the high quantity, every bite comes equipped with at least a few of the confetti shaped candy pieces. Consisting of pure sugar, these add even more sweetness to the already sweet white cake ice cream.


This already sweet flavor wasn't finished yet. The final component, the blue frosting ribbon, added even more sugar to the equation. Boasting a baby blue color that contrasted nicely with the bright white ice cream and rainbow sprinkles, this was thicker than your standard Blue Bunny swirl. Since I possess an insatiable sweet tooth, this wasn't overbearing for me, but I could see the sweetness to be a problem for some consumers. With the addition of some actual white cake pieces, this could have been the highest ranked Blue Bunny offering of the blog.


Where I Found It: Ingles Markets
Grade: C