.

REVIEW: New Orleans Ice Cream Co. Creole Cream Cheese


While looking over the available flavors from New Orleans Ice Cream Company, I was always intrigued by their Creole Cream Cheese. I’ve seen plenty of cream cheese frosting swirls, but using it as the inspiration behind a base is a new concept. This bright-white base uses a local delicacy, fresh farmers style cream cheese to be blended into their delicious ice cream. Heading into this review, I’m not quite sure to expect as far as taste is concerned, but knowing New Orleans Ice Cream Company, I can rest assured that the quality will be top-notch. With the silver lid removed, the first layer shares the same light shading as actual cream cheese.


The 240 calories per serving ranks high among flavors void of any mix-ins, but also foreshadows some of the richness to come. After sampling my first scoop of Creole Cream Cheese, the smooth, velvety texture quickly comes to the forefront. The heavy, slow-melting base takes some time to dissolve, but begins to release the subtle sweetness of farm fresh cream cheese soon after; coating my entire mouth in the process. The complexity of this full-bodied ice cream is something rarely captured in a flavor featuring only one single components, however New Orleans Ice Cream Company does this with ease.


Creole Cream Cheese’s ever-changing flavors and smooth texture continued to grow on me as I worked my way towards the bottom. I’m normally turned off by the thought of a base-only offering, but this was far from ordinary. This is an excellent example of how subtle flavors done with precision can result in a top-rated flavor; something that New Orleans Ice Cream Company tends to do on a regular basis.


Where I Found It: Ice Cream Source
Grade: A