.

READER REVIEW: Elliot's Review of McConnell's Churros Con Leche

When McConnell’s arrived at a local grocer a few months back, one of the flavors that the staff recommended was Churros con Leche. This is one of the new flavors that the team at McConnell’s developed since company ownership changed hands in early 2012.


My love for cinnamon sugar flavors is expansive, ranging from cinnamon buns to apple pie, whether incarnated in ice cream or pastry form. Churros are one of the best imaginings of fried dough ever created, and something I’d not encountered in ice cream. My predilection combined with some strong recommendations set off what I hoped to be a countdown to ecstasy.


At first taste, the essence of the vanilla and cinnamon base remind me of a nice, cool horchata, exactly what McConnell's was aiming for. As rich as their bases are, I was captivated by the way this flavor broke down into a thinner viscosity reminiscent of a horchata, adding authenticity to the experience.


The churros pieces themselves are scattered evenly throughout the pint. Their texture is closer to churro cookie dough pieces, denser and doughier than a hot, crisp churro, providing a grainy, sugary mouthfeel. This was the first McConnell’s pint I re-purchased, even before making my way through the broad local selection. It is one of a kind. Arriving at a dinner party with this in hand is a sure fire way to be invited back.


Where Elliot Found It: Straub's Market
Elliot's Grade: A