.

REVIEW: Trader Joe's Pecan Pie


In addition to the S’mores Frozen Sandwiches I got from Trader Joe’s, I also picked up a quart of their super premium Pecan Pie ice cream. They also had a Pumpkin flavor in stock, but my palate is starting to become exhausted from all the pumpkin products I’ve had over the past few months. This Pecan Pie ice cream is described as ice cream filled with actual pecan pie filling, roasted pecans and chunks of shortbread piecrust. Unlike many other in-house supermarket ice creams, Trader Joe’s doesn’t restrict calories and allows this one to balloon up to 300 calories per serving.


The dense base isn’t vanilla as I’d expected, but instead incorporates a healthy dose of the syrup taste typical in pecan pies. The thick stripes of pecan pie filling really intensify the flavoring, while the roasted pecans and chunks of shortbread piecrust add texture and an obvious pecan pie intention. While it didn’t quite warrant an A in my eyes, it still did enough to entice me into picking up another quart of a different flavor on my next visit to Trader Joe’s.


Where I Found It: Trader Joe's
Grade: B