.

READER REVIEW: Kenneth's Review of Ben & Jerry's Scotchy Scotch Scotch (Limited Edition)


I don't know how to put this, but I don't think Anchorman is that big of a deal. There, I said it. While every bit of footage gets my peers antsy for the sequel, all I can do is roll my eyes and sigh. On the other hand, I don't think it'll be tough for me to enjoy this Anchorman-inspired flavor from Ben & Jerry's, Scotchy Scotch Scotch. True, a simple butterscotch-on-butterscotch play doesn't sound very interesting, but aside from Rockin' Blondies, butterscotch is a (awesome) flavor we don't see too often in ice cream. So let's see if simplicity is on this flavor's side.


The usual traction from peeling the lid back yields an ice cream showing its mix-in glory from the get-go. Whenever there's residue on the cap, I like to use that as a preface for trying the ice cream in full force. What I'm surprised to find are tiny bits of butterscotch candy in the base. Although, that surprise was nothing compared to the sharply sweet flavor greeting my tongue.


Don't let that light base color fool you, Scotchy Scotch Scotch is a gigantic case of so-sweet-it's-deadly. Those candy-like bits I already mentioned appear throughout the entire ice cream. Unless you're eating with a toothpick, you'll be treated to more than a few in every bite. These also seem to be smaller parts of the butterscotch swirl, which I imagined with be very chewy and gooey. Instead, the swirl is stiff, but not hard. Think of it as a Werthers candy crunched up and muddled together; softer than peanut brittle, but harder than peanut butter. As for the taste? Let's just say it makes the base feel like Blue Bell's Rum Raisin, by comparison (bland).


Though I continue to dig in (try), I quickly find myself overwhelmed. This ice cream is so sweet, it should come with a warning label. It takes less than half a serving to make me feel like I've hit the point of no return. Sugar, Werther's and cream is all I can think of it (in that order). If you feel like entering a diabetic coma, this is the ice cream for you. As for me? I'm going to check my blood sugar.


Where Kenneth Found It: Walmart
Kenneth's Grade: C