.

READER REVIEW: Bob's Review of Sam's Choice Coffee & Donuts

As I went into my super Walmart to grocery shop, I soon realized they moved everything in the ice cream row, and as I continued to venture further I noticed 2nd Street Creamery was now discontinued and replaced with a new brand called "Sam's Choice". After looking over the flavors and reading reviews online Coffee and Donuts seemed like a killer hit, so I had no second thoughts on picking up this quart and giving it a whirl.


Coffee and Donuts is labeled as coffee ice cream with swirls of icing and donut pieces. Upon lifting the lid you see a lighter and rich looking coffee base, small white glimpses of a glaze swirl and no donut pieces to be seen. Now as we all know upon taking a few bites you soon find landmines or small pieces of mix-ins for the most part. What shocked me most as this pint is labeled as 200 kcals per serving (9g Fat, 26 Carb, and 2 Protein). Normally super premium ice creams are a bit denser in caloric intake per serving, but this shocked me at the flavor and how well it replicated exactly what it claims.


Upon first bite the coffee ice cream is dense, and in my opinion, is better than Ben & Jerry's, while matching Cold Stone Creamery in richness/denseness when it comes to flavor. It reminds me of drinking a medium blend of coffee but has a nice, creamy flavoring to it. The key component of this pint is the swirl, and as you get into this pint, it reminds me of the thickness of the core in Ben & Jerry's for some bites because you get nothing but a thick, rich, and buttery glaze coming right off a glazed donut you would get at Krispy Kreme.


As you barrel down the quart (I split this into two pint containers) the donut pieces are very hit or miss. It reminded me of the only pint of Blue Bell I had when I was in Colorado where it lists a lot of mix-ins but they are very sparse in the pint. These very sparse donut pieces and soft/chewy in texture but are nice, these are much harder to find compared to the dominant glaze swirl. For the Kcal Amount, the amazing swirl give this pint a very solid score. This is a must pickup!

Where Bob Found It: Walmart
Bob's Grade: A