.

REVIEW: Magnum White Ice Cream Bar


After succumbing to the marketing ploys of Magnum and trying their Gold?! Ice Cream Bar, I found myself checking out with some of their Magnum White Ice Cream Bars just a few weeks later. The albino bars hadn’t been new or limited, but their bleached outer coating had proved enough to coerce me into buying a box of three. Instead of the milk chocolate coating found on the Gold?! versions, Magnum’s White bars utilize their silky vanilla bean ice cream and cover it in a thick layer of Belgian white chocolate.


Unlike the Gold?! bar, the White version comes in a glossy, generic Magnum wrapper with no indication as to what’s inside. This white chocolate variation comes in a little lighter at 250 calories per bar, but should provide more bang for your buck when compared to a serving of super-premium ice cream. The all-white exterior shows off the Magnum seal that has been molded into the coating, and after cutting it open, proves to have a thick, white chocolate crust. Even when I enjoyed the non-dissected bars, the outer shell broke off in huge chunks and rarely clung to the ice cream when doing so. The base has the consistency of a super premium and provides a smooth, mellow filling, but is pretty average as far as vanilla bean flavors are concerned.


The white chocolate outer-coating takes far longer to break down than the bar’s interior, but proves worth the added wait. This thick bark consists of some of the best white chocolate I’ve seen featured in an ice cream and gives a rich, flavorful finish to the end of each bite. Unfortunately, the tame vanilla bean base and sophisticated taste of white chocolate comes off a bit too bland for my palate after just a few bites. I’ll go with the Gold?! version the next time I feel like eating my ice cream off a stick.


Where I Found It: Super Wal-Mart
Grade: C