.

REVIEW: Dairy Queen Choco Covered Cheesecake Blizzard (September 2013 Blizzard of the Month)


After back-to-back unsuccessful visits to my local Dairy Queen in search of September’s Blizzard of the Month earlier on Monday and Tuesday, I was finally able to get my hands on the Choco Covered Cheesecake Blizzard earlier today. Cheesecake based ice creams have always seemed to score well with my particular palate so the combination of creamy cheesecake pieces, rich cocoa fudge and decadent choco chunks in creamy vanilla soft serve sounded pretty satisfying.


Seeing as it was only lunchtime, I went with their small. Even though a large would have set me back 1220 calories, my cup only contained 690. Unlike some of the other Blizzards I've received in the past, the Choco Covered Cheesecake Blizzard wasn't cascading over the edges. Considering I was in the car, this was actually appreciated as I've had plenty of creamy vanilla soft serve spill all over my seats before. The most glaring detail I notice about this Blizzard is that, despite featuring a vanilla foundation, the rich cocoa fudge added in during the blending process (and still stuck on the inside of the cup), has transformed this into an entirely new flavor.


The blending of the fudge swirl has replaced the usual flavor you’d expect with a rich, chocolate-filled finish, and even though the vanilla winds up a little lost; this is still one I preferred over the norm. Dairy Queen chose to once again incorporate one of their most frequently used mix-ins: their decadent choco chunks. As they have before, these give each bite a bit of crunch before getting to the other ingredients; much like the shell of an ice cream bar. In this case, the crackle of the choco chunks is a precursor to the cheesecake pieces to come.


Unfortunately for me, the highlighted component of this Blizzard creation was a bit over blended during the production process and because of that, I had only a few cheesecake squares that made it through to the end. The only benefit of this was that each bite was brimming with bits of creamy cheesecake that added that familiar tang to the finish. The sizable chunks broke down much slower than anything else and added an intense, authentic cheesecake taste that really worked well with the chocolate infused vanilla soft serve. This was one was right on the cusp of receiving an A, and maybe with more whole cheesecake pieces, or if I hadn’t experienced how good the S’mores variation could be, this could have broken into the upper echelon.


Where I Found It: Dairy Queen
Grade: B