.

REVIEW: Edy's Peppermint Wonderland (Limited Edition)


After trying out the Slow-Churned Pumpkin Patch from Edy’s last week, I ran across the Grand version of their Peppermint Wonderland a few days later. I suspected that this was just a renamed version of their seasonal Peppermint flavor that I reviewed last year, but I couldn’t resist the temptation of a peppermint based ice cream since it had been so long since I’d had one (even though I gave the previous rendition an average rating). From the months of September through December, you can give the gift of deliciousness with the official flavor of the holidays. Every scoop of peppermint flavored ice cream is loaded with tasty peppermint candy pieces.


As soon as I opened the lid to this 140-calorie per serving option, I was certain it was the same formula as before. It shared the same pink hue, the same neon pink bits of peppermint, and the same fluffy consistency. As before, the feel is just substantial enough to remain relevant, but still melts down rather quickly. The base remains mild and sweet despite the fact that peppermint usually comes equipped with a strong cooling sensation. This one keeps that characteristic, one of the most unique aspects of eating a mint ice cream, to a minimum.


The bits of peppermint candy add some texture and are added in such high amounts that they are included in practically every bite. The crunch and intensified peppermint flavoring round out this option pretty nicely, but can’t really manage to get past the original average grade I gave it last time. Like others though, this is a perfect foundation for some of your own mix-ins (see below).


Where I Found It: Walmart
Grade: C


I opted for some of the same options I reached for when I used their Slow-Churned Pumpkin Patch: warm fudge brownies, chocolate sprinkles and Hershey’s chocolate syrup. Also notice the Steve’s washable pint that I reuse regularly for my own combinations.