.

READER REVIEW: Bob's Review of Dairy Queen Red Velvet Cake Blizzard

Dairy Queen features decadent red velvet cake pieces and cream cheese frosting blended with their creamy soft serve. While Dairy Queen does not get a lot of rave because it is generic vanilla and chocolate ice cream, they found a way to blend the red velvet cake pieces and some cream cheese frosting to make a good Blizzard.


Right out of the gate a Blizzard is never real hard like ice cream. Its much softer (soft-serve) and can melt pretty darn quick, so I usually take mine home and refreeze it to thicken it up or else it turns to soup in seconds. The surface is very creamy looking, a good amount of red velvet, but no real signs of cream cheese frosting, which will be seen after a few bites.


The first few bites were promising; very THICK and rich chunks of red velvet throughout the entire blizzard. This is what made it shine because I'm a mix-in junkie. The chunks were very rich in red velvet flavoring which was superior to Ben & Jerry's Red Velvet Cake in my opinion and the cream cheese frosting was very similar more along the lines of a swirl as I continued to mow down the blizzard.


As you continue to rip through the heart of the Blizzard, the chunks are still very visible and in a good amount; not to mention you get that nice slight aftertaste of the cream cheese frosting which is subtle compared to the red velvet and soft serve base. This is the 2nd red velvet ice cream I've had next to Ben & Jerry's (which I was not a fan of) and this was much better in richness, taste, and value in my opinion. I know Front Porch has a red velvet flavor, but I'm not lucky enough to get that around where I live. If you want a great change of pace, do not hesitate to pick up this Blizzard of the Month from Dairy Queen.


Where Bob Found It: Dairy Queen
Bob's Grade: B