.

READER REVIEW: Arjun's Review of Edy's Slow Churned Caramel Delight


Caramel can be a difficult flavor to pull off, because although it can be initially attractive, it can turn into a swamp of a brown sugary morass. The downside is that it can be overpowering. With that mind, I dug into Edy’s Caramel Delight to see if it lived up to its name. The flavor promises a creamy caramel light ice cream brimming with thick swirls of sweet, sweet caramel.


I had a sinking feeling when I peeled off the lid because I could spot the gummy texture, the death knell of lighter ice creams. Not all of Edy’s light offerings fall victim to this negative characteristic, but the gumminess was unfortunately evident throughout most of my scoops. The bright aspect was that the caramel swirl was apparent and plentiful enough to mix with the ice cream base on every spoonful.


I was drawn to this flavor with the hopes that it might be similar to a limited edition offering that Edy’s has right now, Cinnamon Bun Fun!. It falls drastically short of that standard. The caramel ice cream base is something I have not had from Edy’s before and is not something I will seek out actively. If you’re heart is set on an Edy’s offering, I would recommend going for the aforementioned Cinnamon Bun Fun! while it is still on shelves. If you’re heart is set on Edy’s and caramel, you’ll be much better off buying the Classic Vanilla or French Vanilla flavors they produce and mixing in your own caramel syrup, flakes, and pieces.


Where Arjun Found It: Giant Eagle
Arjun's Grade: C