.

READER REVIEW: Kenneth's Review of Blue Bell Mint Cookies 'N Cream

There are two things I can't seem to tear myself from. Most recently, it's been Blue Bell ice cream, despite my last two ventures being completely skippable. The other is mint-chocolate treats which, given my childhood obsession with mint chocolate chip ice cream, shouldn't be too surprising. Maybe it's more than mere coincidence then, that Blue Bell would come out with a Mint Cookies 'n Cream flavor to adorn their gold rim.


Blue Bell already have a traditional Mint Chocolate Chip flavor, but now we're tossing cookies 'n cream into the mix. For some strange reason, the pint is even more scant on details than Rum Raisin was, which is to say it has no details at all. Only when I seek out Blue Bell's web site do I find that it's a "smooth mint ice cream combined with mint creme-filled chocolate cookies and semi-sweet chocolate chips." Fine by me, because without such guidance I might've suspected the cookies to be completely mint flavored, which would be interesting in theory if boring in execution.


But we have an ice cream to devour here, and even with a trench on the edge, I'm ready for that mint scent to grace my tongue. I dig in and am greeted by a brief, initial stiffness that quickly gives way to a medium-light body. The mint flavor is decidedly tame, offset by plenty of chocolate chips and more than a few Oreo imitators. These range from little crumbs to smudges and even entire chunks. It's nice to see that Blue Bell didn't skimp out on the mix-ins here, because even though "mint" is the first word for this flavor, it's the chocolate that steals the show. I think it's a good decision, since the ice cream has just enough flavor to balance the experience and hold everything together.


Blue Bell had me worried for a bit. After two lackluster offerings, I really wanted to find something that would restore my faith. I figured something similar to my favorite flavor as a kid would be the perfect chance for me to truly praise them again. I'm happy to say this is the case, with two classic selections coming together for a little something new and old at the same time. And yes, I'm already missing that lovely, green pint.

Where Kenneth Found It: Walgreen's
Kenneth's Grade: B