.

REVIEW: Breyer's Blasts Birthday Blast



Breyers advertised the carton above for months before it hit store shelves, and took even longer for me to actually find in my area. So long in fact, that one of my readers, Max, was actually able to review the flavor before I was. Although I've hung on to my hatred for frozen dairy dessert throughout my exploration of the Breyers Blasts lineup, I'm becoming a bit more accepting to the idea. While I've had their Oreo Birthday Blast, the only difference here is the exchange of cake pieces for the Oreo crumbles. After popping off the lid, the consistency is still cringe-worthy as I scoop some into a bowl.


At only 130 calories per serving, you'll be hard pressed to find anything lighter than this. Nearly all of their flavors featuring frozen dairy dessert come in way below the norm as far as nutrition facts are concerned. This would be light for a base-only low-fat ice cream, but Breyers manages to squeeze in rainbow sprinkles and big pieces of white cake. Using the same cake flavored base as Oreo Birthday Blast, it's just as bittersweet as I remember. While the flavor is pleasant and impersonates the taste of white sheet cake they were going for, the consistency is still off. But because of the taste, all is not lost. I was somewhat expecting the super-sweet flavoring associated with most birthday cake inspired offerings, but this was mild for the most part. The multicolored sprinkles not only add something to the aesthetics of Birthday Blast, but also adds a nice bit of crunch and sweetness as well.


While the cake flavored base and rainbow sprinkles held their own, the highlight of this selection certainly comes from the chunks of cake inside. Not only are they frequent, but these pieces of white cake are much more dense and substantial than I was expecting, taking multiple bites to break down. Unfortunately, these don't explode with flavor, but contain just enough sweetness to enhance the other components. Although the frozen dairy dessert still holds the overall effectiveness of the flavor, this was still able to beat out some of the other birthday cake inspired cartons out available.


Where I Found It: Super Wal-Mart
Grade: C