.

REVIEW: Publix Premium Santa's White Christmas (Limited Edition)


As Christmas has come and gone, some of the limited-edition seasonal flavors have continued to stick around as 2013 begins. Their Pumpkin Pie and Deep Dish Apple Pie holiday flavors both received rather high scores, so I picked up their Santa's White Christmas selection before it began to disappear from shelves. Family members of mine use to special order this special blend of Barnie's coffee nearly every Winter, so I'm well aware of how delicious a steaming cup of this coffee can be. Sporting a description similar to that of Starbucks Java Chip Frappuccino, Publix Premium's version takes the classic flavor of Barnie's Santa's White Christmas coffee delightfully mixed with choco-espresso flakes.


The 160 calories per serving seems a bit low until I pop open the lid and realize this is just a simple mixture of coffee ice cream and chocolate chips. Not letting the simplicity effect my spirit, I scoop some into a bowl and sample my first taste of Santa's White Christmas coffee ice cream. Although it's sweet and seemingly creamier than other coffee ice creams I've had, the overall taste is immediately among the best. The sugary ice cream feels like it should be heavier than the nutrition label indicates. The consistency is ideal, slowly melting down as the flavors envelop my taste buds. The backend of the flavor profile seems to hint at holiday spices, possibly cinnamon or nutmeg. Although I know the chocolate flakes are the only other component remaining, the coffee base is so impressive that it shouldn't make much difference.


Even though I typically prefer a high-quality coffee base like that of Starbucks ice cream, I'd still take Publix Premium's version used inside here. The varying sizes of chocolate-espresso flakes add a nice crunchy texture to the flavor, much like they do in Talenti's Coffee Chocolate Chip. Unlike the chocolate pieces used in other coffee-based flavors, Publix Premium's pieces have hints of the unique taste of espresso as the rich chunks break down. Although they were a nice addition, this holiday selection could have really excelled with a more substantial mix-in. Considering the calories, and especially if you're a coffee-lover, this is a great choice for your next purchase. I'll be sad to see this one start disappearing from shelves.


Where I Found It: Publix Super Markets
Grade: B