.

REVIEW: Dairy Queen Banana Cream Pie Blizzard


After trying the S’mores Blizzard of the Month Treat from Dairy Queen earlier this June, I found myself craving some of that signature soft serve only a few weeks later. Since I’d already reviewed the featured item, I decided to explore some of their other options. Dairy Queen breaks down their standard Blizzard offerings into four distinct categories: Cookie Lovers, Candy Cravers, Fruit Fans and Chocoholics. Fruity frozen treats rarely interest me, but as the drive-thru attendant’s voice echoed through the speaker I quickly decided to go with Banana Cream Pie. They describe this flavor as, “Our version of Banana Cream Pie a’ la mode…but much better. Real bananas, creamy banana cream pie filling and crunchy pie crust pieces blended with creamy vanilla serve. We top it with whipped cream to give you that decadent pie experience.


As usual, I went with the medium sized serving, paid my $3.69 and pulled around to pick up my order. Unlike any of the others I’ve gotten, the Banana Cream Pie Blizzard comes topped with a mountain of whipped cream (which melted quickly and consequently made a huge mess in my cup holder). This fruit based flavor set me back 690 calories for a medium, but varies from 380 calories for a mini all the way up to 980 calories for a large. I avoid the mounds of whipped cream when I pull the long spoon out of the cup so I can taste the banana-infused soft serve first. If they make this in the same fashion they make their others, they’ve probably squirted a bunch of banana flavoring into their creamy vanilla soft serve in order to make this super-sweet base. The result is a strong banana taste that comes off as slightly artificial in taste.


Dairy Queen throws in bits of sliced bananas to help offset the fake flavoring and, because they haven’t been in a deep freezer, manage to retain their soft and mushy consistency. Blizzard Treats have really helped me to appreciate fruit in ice cream because of the warmer temperature at which they’re served and how they are able to avoid the frozen-solid texture of many store-bought pints. To finish off the Banana Cream Pie concept, they've also added in pie crust pieces. These crunchy squares of crust add a gritty texture, a sweet pastry taste and complete the authentic feel of this dessert. Having only had Blizzards which featured chocolate, this was a nice change of pace; especially if you enjoy bananas like me.


Where I Found It: Dairy Queen
Grade: B