.

READER REVIEW: Mo's Review of Turkey Hill's Raspberry Shortcake (Limited Edition)

There’s just something about the words “limited edition” that makes me want to snatch ice cream right off the supermarket shelf. So when I stumbled upon one of the newer offerings from Turkey Hill, I decided to give it a shot—especially since I absolutely loved their Limited Edition Coconut Cream Pie.


This flavor is actually a simple vanilla base with shortcake pieces and a raspberry swirl scattered throughout. As was to be expected, when I first popped open the lid I wasn’t hit with a ton of raspberry or cake pieces. But as I scooped down toward the center of the carton, I found the cake pieces and swirl to be plentiful.


Let’s talk about the swirl first, because this is really the feature that makes this flavor appealing. The raspberry does a good job of not tasting artificial, and the swirl adds a nice tartness to the otherwise sweet vanilla base. At the same time, the raspberry isn’t overpowering and doesn’t negate that vanilla flavoring, but rather just enhances it nicely.


The cake pieces, however, are a different story. Having loved the pie pieces in the aforementioned Coconut Cream Pie, I had somewhat high hopes for the shortcake. But unfortunately, this was one mix-in I could’ve easily done without. The cake pieces didn’t add a lot of flavor, and I found them to be rather dense and dry. In fact, I would’ve much preferred that Turkey Hill offer up a vanilla-raspberry swirl flavor for summer and call it a day. (Incidentally, I’ve tried Turkey Hill’s Strawberry Cheesecake and am pretty convinced that it’s basically the same cake pieces being used here.)


All in all, this is a pretty decent, refreshing seasonal product from Turkey Hill, and considering the reasonable price tag and caloric value, it’s worth picking up if you can find it. From what I hear, it’s somewhat difficult to come by.


Where Mo Found It: ShopRite
Mo's Grade: C