.

REVIEW: BKLYN Larder Salted Peanut Gelato


I was recently given the opportunity to try some products from a brand I didn’t even know existed before they emailed me. BKLYN Larder, located in Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn, New York, doesn’t necessarily specialize in frozen goods, but they do have house-made gelato that’s made with the highest quality ingredients and spun by their very own pastry chefs. According to their website, “Bklyn Larder is a celebration of good food. A retail cheese and provisions shop specializing in sustainably produced ingredients, Bklyn Larder has been providing the Park Slope and Prospect Heights community with a welcoming place to find and enjoy hand-crafted cheeses, homemade prepared foods, and hard-to-find grocery items since its opening in June of 2009. Along with owners Francine Stephens, Andrew Feinberg and Sergio Hernandez, we are a team of dedicated and knowledgeable individuals eager to share our knowledge and passion with our customers and to bring the work of talented international and local producers of cheeses, meats, dairy products, jams, honeys, oils and more to our market.” While I passed on flavors like Malted Vanilla, Zabaglione or Mascarpone Honey, I was most interested in their Salted Peanut GelatoIf you wanted to try all four (and had deep pockets), $110 could have a 4-pack shipped to your front door.


With no real detailed information about this gelato on their website, neither a description nor nutrition facts were available, so I was going into this taste test a bit blind. The transparent pint makes it easy to see that the cream colored gelato is loaded with salty peanut pieces. As soon as I peel back the lid and look at the first layer, it’s evident this was given a little extra attention. After filling the pint to the brim, an additional layer of nuts were scattered on top to give this a handmade feel. I let the container set out for a few minutes, grabbed a spoon and dug out some of the soft gelato. The actual consistency was close to other gelatos I’ve had, but that’s where the similarities stopped. The feel of this gelato was something truly unique. BKLYN Larder’s hand spun style yielded a product that was light in density but heavy on its velvety texture.


As far as taste was concerned, the gelato was a little lacking. Although I appreciated the subtle flavoring, a little more intensity could have really helped. To help push the peanut sweet cream gelato along, BKLYN Larder also included actual peanuts to finish the job. These chunks are slightly salted and contrast the mellow sweetness found in the gelato. Bites containing both provided a one of a kind experience that I haven't had elsewhere. I imagine this to be even better when scooped out of a fresh batch made in house, but for now, I’m satisfied with my personal pint.


Where I Found It: BKLYN LARDER
Grade: B