.

REVIEW: Dairy Queen Lemon Meringue Pie Blizzard (July 2013 Blizzard of the Month)


It’s very rare that I have the opportunity to pick up Dairy Queen’s Blizzard of the Month on the day that it’s released, but this happened to be one of those occasions. After going extra hard in the gym earlier today, I stopped by the drive-thru to try out July’s limited edition flavor, Lemon Meringue Pie. Lemon based desserts are something I’ve only recently took a liking to and the new combination of lemon meringue pie filling, crunchy pie pieces and whipped topping in creamy vanilla soft serve sounded like the perfect way to reward myself. Not knowing how much I’d enjoy this Citrusy Surprise, I opted for the small size instead of the medium I usually go for. I ordered, paid my $3.39 and then waited for two or three minutes while the cashier blended up my Blizzard.


Similar to the Banana Cream Pie Blizzard I went with a few weeks ago, the Lemon Meringue Pie Blizzard comes topped with a mound of whipped cream that billows up and out of the small cup. As I pulled out the red spoon, a large collection of soft serve, pie pieces and yellow flecks came with it. Dairy Queen’s signature soft serve has been infused with the same lemonade concentrate as they use to make their Lemonade Chiller and, unlike some other lemon based desserts, allows the sour characteristics of the citrus to shine through. Although I may not have been a fan of this tart flavoring a few months ago, my feelings were all in favor now.


I’m not quite sure what the meringue pie filling looked like before it was added to this Blizzard, but it gets a bit lost in the soft serve after being mixed. To make up for this, they’ve added in plenty of pie crust pieces; almost enough to get at least one in every bite. These chunks of crust add some crunch, authentic flavor and the pieces that were hit by the blender give the whole Blizzard a gritty, granulated feel. When the whipped cream is shoved down into the soft serve with the other ingredients, the taste is pretty similar to what you’d find in a real lemon meringue pie; without the fluffy texture of the meringue of course. Granted this couldn’t keep contend with powerhouses like last month's S’mores Blizzard (still available by the way), if you’re a fan of lemon ice creams, July’s Blizzard of the Month might be for you.


Where I Found It: Dairy Queen
Grade: C