.

READER REVIEW: Bob's Review of Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby

First of all let me say that going into this review I can’t believe I have passed this up for numerous times. Maybe it’s because the calories were high (340 a serving) or because I was blind on the Peanut Butter Pretzels, but regardless its time to give this a crack. Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby is vanilla malt ice cream with peanutty fudge-covered pretzels with fudge & peanut buttery swirls. Now is that a mouthful or what? This has practically everything I enjoy minus some cookie dough, but besides that beggars can’t be choosers. Lets get right into the review and my thoughts on this pint.


Looking at the opening of the pint you are surrounded with swirls of Fudge and Peanut butter that are on the premise of a vanilla malt ice cream base. Now, Ben & Jerry’s is known to have a better vanilla base than a chocolate base so I already had high standards going into this pint. I was a little curious on how the Pretzels with Fudge and peanut butter were going to be, but in the end you will see I was very pleased with how the Fudge coated pretzels play a great role in the pint because Ben & Jerry's when it comes to mix-ins does not disappoint.

The first bite showed a glimpse of a massive fudge covered pretzel piece and a good peanut butter swirl that coated the ice cream. All in all this was delicious. Usually Ben & Jerry’s has solid mix-ins and sometimes like in Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup or Peanut Butter Cup they are semi-frozen, but it was nice to have a firm but not frozen pretzel that has a nice layer of fudge surrounding it and a good glimpse of peanut butter that complimented the pretzel very well. After the first bite alone my eyebrow rose. I did not get much of the base but as I dug in I would say this held an edge in the basic vanilla base that Ben & Jerry's does offer.


As I dug through the pint it was evident that this pint is not shy on mix-ins or pretzels. It was a minefield of Fudge Pretzels. Every single bite had a huge chunk of pretzel and fudge not to mention a large amount of peanut butter. When thinking of the other peanut butter pints such as Peanut Butter Cup that just has peanut butter cups or Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup with peanut butter cups, this rose well above in terms of taste. Not to mention I would place this higher than What a Cluster, which has a great swirl and a peanut butter base. I think the swirl combined with the vanilla malt base was a great choice and it really hit the spot regardless of the calories. While this may not be peanut butter dominant like What a Cluster, this still gave it a run for its money for a top 5 flavor and I would have to put this right up there.


Where Bob Found It: Wegmans
Bob's Grade: A