.

REVIEW: Jeni's Splendid Goat Cheese With Red Cherries


The first few times I looked into the Jeni's Splendid selections I was a bit scared away by the thoughts of Goat Cheese and Red Cherries. Goat cheese always tends to be just a tad too tangy for my liking and cherries are among my least favorite fruits when adopted into desserts. It wasn't until I jogged over to Jeni's site that I realized this was actually her rendition of a cheesecake ice cream. She describes this as sweet/tart cherries balanced by the natural tang of pure goat cheese. Like a rich, luscious cherry cheesecake, but less dense.


Now that I've grown accustomed to companies displaying the description on the outside of the carton, I loath those who don't. I want to be able to read what I'm eating while I'm eating it. The descriptions provided by Jeni's aren't only informative, but she also shares the experience you're about to be taken on. For instance, before I even take my first bite I know that this creamy and subtly tangy goat cheese ice cream is going to be the perfect base for juicy bursts of tart red cherries. All of her descriptions thus far have been spot-on. Staying true to the slow food movement and supporting local establishments, Jeni's sources her goat cheese goodness from Mackenzie Creamery, owned and operated by Jean Mackenzie in Northern Ohio.


To my surprise only about a fourth of the ice cream held the impression of the lid after taking off the top. The consistency of the goat cheese ice cream becomes evident right away, before even tasting it. It lacks the absolute smoothness you'd suspect, and instead lets the look and feel of actual goat cheese remain incorporated. My first taste takes me by surprise. This is such a unique taste on classic cheesecake ice cream. The slightly-sweet, tangy base is tremendous. If the corkscrew of cherry swirl can prove up to par, we may have a real winner.


I'm always suspicious of selections lacking a crunchy aspect. I've had way too many unenjoyable experiences with flavors that tend to forget about adding texture. The goat cheese was a peculiar approach at adding texture, but the real curveball came with the cherries. Scooping through the swirl of shredded cherries emitted an interesting sound. My suspicions were confirmed when I chomped down. Not only did the cherries offer tid-bits of tartness, they also shared the same crunch as Rice Krispies. Accompanying the crispy feel of the fruit was also a sweet syrup that trailed behind; a dangerous duo when gathered between gobs of goat cheese ice cream. And these aren't your standard radioactive looking red marciano cherries. These are remindful of farm-fresh, recently plucked, nearly-purple-they're-so-ripe cherries.


The tangy goat cheese ice cream with crunchy, cherry fruit-fragments results in an unforgettable cheesecake experience. The unique approach that Jeni utilizes in her takes on traditional flavors is something I can't help but appreciate. Anyone can do things with their own twists, but these Splendid selections aren't only different, they demand admiration.


Where I Found It: The Fresh Market
Grade: A