.

REVIEW: Publix Premium Pumpkin Pie (Limited Edition)


With October fast approaching, creameries across the country have wasted no time in churning out their Fall-inspired flavors. I tend to choose a straightforward selection when introducing myself to a new brand, but after my eyes landed on this, there was no way I could opt for anything else. Donning a hearty piece of pie and a dollop of whipped cream, the fact that this was a generic brand made no difference to me. As I went through check out with my half gallon of Publix Premium Pumpkin Pie, the cashier complimented my purchase. She also informed me that the limited edition tagline shouldn't be taken lightly and that I should feel lucky that I was able to capture a carton considering how quickly they sell out.


Prior to this, the only pumpkin-infused flavor I had been able to procure was Pumpkin Cheesecake from Ben & Jerry's, which sold it's main ingredient a little short. Reincarnating one of my all-time favorite desserts in ice cream, Publix describes this as, "Pumpkin Pie flavored ice cream with swirls of whipped cream ribbon and bountiful buttery pie crust pieces throughout." Pulling off the top and tearing off the plastic protective film revealed a pastel-orange first layer with pieces of pie crust poking through the top.


As I overflow my bowl with scoop after scoop, the swirls of whipped cream and buttery pie crust pieces inside the velvety pumpkin pie ice cream have me salivating worse than one of Pavlov's dogs. I load my spoon full and prepare to see how Publix Premium stacks up against the competition. The pale orange ice cream was light and fluffy, lacking the heaviness of other higher calorie options. But for 170 calories per serving, the consistency was above average. The slight gummy texture was still present, but not nearly as bad as some other brands. As soon as this pumpkin pie flavored ice cream hits your tongue it becomes crystal clear what you're eating.


The taste is pretty spot on, bursting with notes of pumpkin pie spices, especially cinnamon and nutmeg. Intertwined with the base ice cream are some thick ribbons of whipped cream. Adding a textural difference, the whipped cream stays light and stringy, as well as bringing some additional sugar to the flavor. Unfortunately, because the pumpkin pie spices are so strong, the swirl just isn't that noticeable unless you're looking for it. Getting off to a solid start, the fate of this ice cream depend on the pie pieces. Utilizing power in numbers, Publix has packed this carton full of sizeable hunks of crust. After my pleasant experience with Private Selection Southern Recipe Banana Cream Pie, I had been on the lookout for more generic flavors employing pie crust and this fits the bill nicely.


These were actually better than I had anticipated. Although they weren't quite as big as the ones from Private Selection, they still had the same great texture. Depending on the bite, the pie crust pieces could be soft and chewy, or crunchy and flaky. The differing textures made each bite a new experience. Everything about this flavor was top-notch for a company that doesn't specialize in ice cream. I would love to see this concept put to use by other, super-premium brands that could execute with more precision. Either way, I'm excited for the bevy of Fall-inspired products to come.


Where I Found It: Publix Super Markets
Grade: C