.

READER REVIEW: Bob's Review of Dairy Queen Pumpkin Pie Blizzard

Tis the season and at Dairy Queen this is the Blizzard of the Month for October. Now I have had Handel's Pumpkin, Cold Stone Creamery Pumpkin, Graeter's Pumpkin, and Ben & Jerry's Pumpkin Cheesecake, so I can rate all of these towards the end of the review with my top 5. Seeing most of them deal with pumpkin, graham crackers, and some with cinnamon/nutmeg these should all go hand in hand to give you the rundown on the best pumpkin ice creams you could try (based off my taste buds).


Upon grabbing the Pumpkin Pie Blizzard, it's their generic vanilla soft serve, Libby's Pumpkin, graham cracker pieces, nutmeg, and whipped cream combined together. When the lady was making my Blizzard, I don't know if she was a deer in headlights after she saw me tip her a few bucks, but she immediately filled my blizzard with multiple layers of graham cracker pieces, Libby's and soft serve that left for a very thick and creamy Blizzard. The overall texture is on the thin side due to it being a soft serve, but that is to be expected. The whipped cream is generic as expected, but the little touch of nutmeg brings out a bit of the pumpkin flavoring. The overall amount of graham cracker pieces really aided this pint due to the basic libby pumpkin and vanilla base which is good.


After a bite or two, it was pretty evident that mine was loaded with graham cracker pieces, which made it much more enjoyable. I am a mix-in die hard and the amount of crunch it offered with the dense pumpkin flavoring was great as a compliment, but still lacked a bit of cinnamon or a cinnamon swirl that you kind of taste in other pumpkin ice creams. Ben & Jerry's has a better overall hint of pumpkin, but the amount of graham cracker pieces in Dairy Queen's trumps the graham cracker taste you get in Ben & Jerry's Pumpkin Cheesecake. The overall flavoring I would say beats out Graeter's, which I thought was subpar, but does not top Cold Stone Creamery or Handel's, which is still the king in my opinion.


As you get down into the pint, you are literally scooping up flakes and chunks of graham cracker pieces that my have not been broken up from the Blizzard machine during the mixing process and you still get the soft pumpkin flavoring from the vanilla base and pumpkin mix-in. The amount of whipped cream is just about gone, and the nutmeg that is sprinkled on top is non-existent at this point, but if you are a die hard or enjoy pumpkin then you will still enjoy the ice cream, which i did. Now, do I think Dairy Queen is a good buy? Overall, I would have to place this right in the center of the pack for my overall pumpkin ratings.

Where Bob Found It: Dairy Queen
Bob's Grade: B