.

REVIEW: Blue Bell Fudge Divinity (Holiday Favorite Limited Edition)


When I think of the best flavor combinations offered by Blue Bell Creamery, their Holiday Favorite collection immediately comes to mind. Featuring flavors like Banana Nut Bread, Christmas Cookies, Gingerbread House, Spiced Pumpkin Pecan and Peppermint, almost every single selection has received top marks from me, so you can imagine my excitement when Blue Bell announced they’d be adding another member to the lineup: Fudge Divinity. Although I’m not sure how this particular combination ties in with the holidays, marshmallow flavored ice cream, roasted pecans and milk chocolate sauce were more than enough to have me off looking for this latest release.


All of Blue Bell’s options seem to come in below the 200 calorie per serving threshold, but Fudge Divinity manages to come in right at 200 calories per serving, which is surprising considering there aren’t any large, dessert-like mix-ins. The marshmallow flavored ice cream used in here isn’t one that I’ve experienced from Blue Bell before, but one I’m very excited about trying. After getting rid of the gold lid, the first layer looked promising. While it was almost impossible to miss all the roasted pecans littered about, I was able to secure a bit of the base to serve as my first taste. Much like I’d imagined, Blue Bell does a pretty nice job with this uniquely flavored ice cream. The texture is thick and slightly sticky, while the taste is sweet and easily identifiable as marshmallow.


The bits of roasted pecans were enough to add a little crunch to most bites, but as nuts in ice cream often do, don’t really add much by themselves. Luckily, Blue Bell has finished off this flavor with one of their thick, visually appealing swirls. Forgoing the option for some overly decadent fudge sauce, Blue Bell instead chooses milk chocolate. This decision results in an equally impressive looking swirl without overpowering any taste buds when combined with the already-sweet marshmallow base. Instead, the smooth, milk chocolate only compliments the other components. While the overall experience was pleasant and I really enjoyed the creativity with Fudge Divinity’s base, it still wasn't able to compete with some of the other options in this Holiday Favorite lineup.


Where I Found It: Ingles Markets
Grade: B