.

REVIEW: Jeni's Sweet Potato with Torched Marshmallows


After Jeni’s Loveless Biscuits + Peach Jam nearly stole the top overall spot on my all time favorite ice cream list, I had heightened expectations for the other pint I brought back with me from Nashville. Sweet Potato with Torched Marshmallows is broken down as pulverized roasted sweet potatoes (grown for us at Hirsch Fruit Farm in Chillicothe, Ohio) blended into grass-grazed cream with red-hot Vietnamese cinnamon and studded with made-from-scratch (blow torched) marshmallows. Sweet Potatoes are one of my favorite foods, both sweet and savory, so I was really looking forward to this one; especially at an easily manageable 220 calories per serving.


Like all the past hand packed pints I’ve bought from Jeni’s, this one was also filled to the brim with a pale orange ice cream that showed off the red-hot Vietnamese cinnamon flecks. The consistency is top-notch as expected and the taste is just as impressive. The initial flavoring can easily be mistaken for pumpkin, but once it fully develops, the distinguishable taste of a sweet potatoes come through. While it may sound strange, it was delicious. The large, made-from-scratch marshmallows were worthy sidekicks to the unique base and almost gave this the effect of a sweet potato pie ice with their blow torched exterior. While this couldn’t quite top the performance of Loveless Biscuits + Peach Jam, this was still an easy A.


Where I Found It: Jeni's 12 South Scoop Shop (Nashville, TN)
Grade: A