.

REVIEW: Mayfield Snickerdoodle


The bright yellow cartons of Mayfield ice cream always catch my eye when I'm browsing the freezer aisles. I've always assumed that this was a low-quality, mass production operation that based their company on quantity sold rather than quality involved. But lately, this Braselton, Georgia based dairy has been placing some impressive sounding selections into circulation. Born and bred in the South, Mayfield makes a long list of products, including milk, sweet beverages, cottage cheese and of course, ice cream. After being enticed by flavors such as Blueberry Cream Pie and Peppermint Stick, I ultimately decided on Snickerdoodle to act as my first sample.


I've always been envious of those who had the opportunity to try Ben & Jerry's Snickerdoodle Cookie, so this was a chance for me try a flavor based on one of my favorite confections. After pulling off the yellow lid and removing the plastic seal, the first layer leaves a lot to be desired. Containing only 150 calories per half cup serving, this seems to be consistent with companies like Edy's. Although not marketed as a seasonal offering, Snickerdoodle cookies always tend to remind me of holidays spent with family. The cinnamon cookie flavored base breaks away easily as my spoon begins to scoop out a big bowl.


I secure a sample of the base ice cream and dig in. Although it's overly sweet, the cinnamon cookie aspect brings about some spice to balance out the overall flavor. The density is comparable to that of Blue Bunny or Turkey Hill, lacking the gummy texture of frozen dairy dessert. It doesn't take long to begin melting down, but still should provide a suitable foundation for the actual chunks of cookies. Although I was hoping for some homemade hunks of Snickerdoodle, these weren't entirely up to my standards. Completely uniform in size, these small tidbits were closer to cookie dough in appearance than actual baked cookies.


These were denser than standard cookie dough, but contained the same granular texture as they break down, a trait that I've grown to take enjoyment from. Bursting with cinnamon and butter, these bits of Snickerdoodle compliment the cinnamon cookie base efficiently enough. Although I would have loved an incorporated swirl, for only 150 calories per serving, this was still pleasant. I'll definitely keep an eye out for some of their more interesting flavors to bring on board to the blog in the future.


Where I Found It: Ingles Markets
Grade: D