.

REVIEW: Talenti Peppermint Bark (Holiday Favorite Limited Edition)


Along with my recent infatuation with all things peppermint, it took a seasonal offering to entice me into trying another transparent jar of Talenti. I had fallen in love with Sea Salt Caramel, but had yet to find anything that came close to the one of a kind texture and flavor found inside that selection. Straying from the typical sepia shading, this pint had been decorated with bright red mistletoe for the holidays, something that effectively caught my eye while glancing over the contents of my grocer's freezer. The majority of my recent reviews on peppermint-inspired creations have revolved around the popular striped candy, but this will be my first flavor based on combining the candy with chocolate.


Twisting off the familiar brown lid revealed a first layer that looked strikingly similar to that of Chocolate Chip Stracciatella, also made by Talenti. Although the official description can't be found on the pint's exterior or online, it appears as they've combined their patented tiny dark chocolate chips with a bright white peppermint gelato. It's been a while since I've experienced this ice cream that I've previously referred to as crunchy. The consistency of Talenti's gelato, especially coming off a hiatus, is always impressive. After coming to terms with the fact that I'm not going to uncover another Sea Salt Caramel, it's much easier to enjoy some of Talenti's more subtle selections.


The smooth gelato peels back with ease and I get a whiff of the mint meandering upwards out of the pint. The all-white peppermint base has the same familiar cooling sensation that others possess, incorporating the precise amount of sweetness to offset the overpowering herb. Although you shouldn't expect to uncover any of the large chocolate chips found in containers of Graeter's, these flecks of top-notch chocolate are incorporated into nearly every bite. The tiny pieces give each spoonful a rich, pleasant aftertaste. For some reason, these chips meshed much better with the peppermint gelato than they did with the coffee or black raspberry bases found in other flavors.


Where I Found It: Publix
Grade: C