.

REVIEW: Turkey Hill Pennsylvania Dutch Pretzel (Limited Edition)


As you’ve probably picked up on by now, I usually travel with a cooler on some of my long business trips where I know I’ll be passing by supermarkets and scoop shops I wouldn’t normally have access to. At the same Food Lion that I was able to score Ben & Jerry’s latest release, Scotchy Scotch Scotch I also found a limited edition Turkey Hill flavor I’d been dying to get my hands on: Pennsylvania Dutch Pretzel. Turkey Hill manages to keep this combination of brown sugar flavored ice cream with choco pretzels and a pretzel swirl to a mere 190 calories per serving. The pretzel swirl contained in Candy Bar Pie (which still remains exiled to scoop shops after its release in pint form was pushed back) was one of my favorites, so hopefully Turkey Hill’s version can be just as effective.


Similar to the base used in their Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Turkey Hill uses brown sugar instead of a standard vanilla. Once again, the slight flavoring of molasses does wonders for the overall taste and as usual, the consistency of Turkey Hill’s ice cream is ideal for a premium ice cream. The chocolate covered pretzel pieces (while a small percentage were soggy) provided a crunchy texture with a rich, chocolate finish. There were also enough of them that they managed to make their way into almost every single bite. The last component, and my personal favorite part of this limited edition flavor, was the pretzel swirl. This was neither sweet nor savory, but instead balanced somewhere in between with just enough flavoring to let you know it was made of pulverized pretzels. The real crowning achievement of the swirl was the unique, gritty texture it added. With that said, this is definitely a limited edition worth trying if you happen to run across a carton.


Where I Found It: Food Lion
Grade: A